I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life
Jesus in the Present TenseJohn 14:6, 7
G.B. Robeson writes of a man lost in the jungle, a man sought desperately to find his way to safety.
- His strength was ebbing fast as the insects and stifling heat did their deadly work.
- Suddenly he heard what he thought to be a bell tolling in the distance.
- Believing he was nearing civilization, he struggled bravely onward; but he never seemed to draw closer to the sound. Finally, he fell to the ground exhausted, never to rise again.
- The mysterious bellbird had claimed another victim!
- Many times this bird with its call entices people to get off of the path to seek out the sound.
Similarly Satan employs subtle devices to ensnare us.
(Advance Slide #3)
- As souls seek to free themselves from the ways of sin, they are lead astray by the Satan's “bell” ringing in the distance.
- “At last,” They think, “I’ve found a way of escape,” and so, following the call of the evil one deeper and deeper into the jungle of despair, they are eventually lost for eternity.
- Many are following the deceptive call of the devil’s “bell-bird” because it seems right to them.
Jesus, before His death, who declared that no man comes to the Father but by me.
(Advance Slide #4)
- He is the only One who can lead poor wanderers to the promised land of salvation and safety!
- John 17:6 "I have manifested your name [Father] to the people whom you gave me out of the world."
- In doing so He revealed the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:6-7
Jesus had just told the disciples to not be troubled.
- He is leaving and will come back.
- While He is gone, He will be preparing a place and will return and take us there.
- "And you know the way to where I going"
- Jesus's answer is the basis of this lesson.
Jesus does not simply teach the way or point the way; He is the way.
- In fact, “the Way” was one of the early names for the Christian faith (Acts 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22).
- Jesus’s statement, “No man cometh unto the Father but by Me,” wipes away any other way to heaven.
Jesus has disclosed more than anyone expected.
(Advance Slide #9)
- Instead of simply defining his destination (the Father, heaven), he says that he alone is the way to get there.
- But only God can lead us to himself.
- Jesus takes the next inevitable step, therefore, a step no doubt that the disciples can barely comprehend:
- Only the Father can lead us to himself—and the Father is genuinely present in Jesus.
The usage of these two words indicates a serious and somber atmosphere that Jesus and the apostles were in.
- They have not understood everything that He taught, but they believed and followed Him.
- When He taught they were edited by His teachings, but not tonight.
- He says, "I'm leaving."
- And on top of that He is about to announce that there is a traitor among them.
- Maybe you feel the same sorrow here today.
- The work is beyond your ability…you feel weak.
- Friends and associates have betrayed you or hurt you.
- TODAY - -is the church the same dynamic fellowship found in the book of Acts?
- Sadly, most of the "Christian activity" that is seen today is only seen in a building (also called church…feed confusion).
- We often hear of the moral and spiritual darkness of the world.
- How do you stop the decay in the world today?
The church was "filled with awe" (Acts 2:443) but now it seems to be business as usual.
- This shows the need for REVIVAL.
- Blessed is the man
(Advance Slide #14)
"who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, THE WAY
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the Lord, THE TRUTH
and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree THE LIFE
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers."
(Advance Slide #15)
- WAY Jn. 6:60-66…Jesus was the way, but yet they walked away.
- TURTH Jn. -38…Jesus did signs, but they still didn't believe.
- LIFE Jn. 18-19…though Jesus was the life, but they crucified Him.
The parable of the Prodigal Son describes the conduction of all who turn their backs on God.
- As the son sat with the pigs…he took inventory of his life.
- He realized that going back to his father was the only way to make things right.
- "except through me…"
- Sinners are lost, but Jesus is the WAY to the Father's home.
- Sinners are ignorant, but Jesus is the TRUTH about the Father.
- Sinners are spiritually dead, but Jesus is the LIFE for those who repent and are baptized into Him