Sunday, September 1, 2013

I AM the Vine

I AM the Vine

September 1, 2013

I AM the Vine 
Jesus in the Present Tense
John 15:1-8

(Advance Slide 1)

Introduction

(Advance Slide 2)

This is the last of the I AM statements that we find in the gospel of John.
  • The first four were made publicly.
  • One was spoken privately to Martha.
  • The last two were privately spoken to the apostles in the upper room.
(Advance Slide 3)

Jesus was explaining how they could serve in His absence.
  • A deep sea diver receives ended oxygen from above.
  • Christians grow and serve because of a living connection with Christ and abide in Him.
(Advance Slide 4)
  • Jesus was clear in His teachings…apart from Him, they could do nothing.
    • NOTICE - Jesus did not say that they were disabled or disadvantaged; they could do nothing.
(Advance Slide 5)

Our service must begin in Christ, continue by being sustained by Christ, and end at Christ (and His glory) for it to last.

Just as Jesus is the "true bread" He is also the "true vine" - vs. 1
  • This group of verses have a lot of practical truths in them.
  • The practical nature of their teachings is on faithful servanthood.
(Advance Slide 6)

Text
"5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." John 15:5-7

(Advance Slide 7)

This is no better description of God's transforming work then this description.
  • In this description Jesus reveals that this transformation is a team effort.
    • Without God we would never start our journey.
  • As we consider this transformation we MUST keep in mind that we may become more like Christ
(Advance Slide 8)
    • Gal. 5:22 helps us to see what this Christlikeness look like, "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control"
(Advance Slide 9)

Jesus says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."
  • He is describing the believer's new life as a branch that is attached to the vine (God).
(Advance Slide 10)
  • A branch growing from a vine becomes the recipient of the life and nutrients that flow from the vine.
Lesson

(Advance Slide 11)

True Living - comes from bearing fruit (Advance Slide 12)
  • In Ezekiel 15 branches are described as being good for two things:
  • Good for fruit or fuel; that is to say bearing or burning
    • If the branch is not bearing fruit it is not fulfilling its purpose in life and should be discarded.
You may be attached to the vine and be spiritually alive, but not very healthy.
  • Remember Psalm 1 last week?
    • Vs. 3 described a tree planted by water that received nutrients, yields fruits doesn't wither.
  • We can learn from this that branches do not produce fruits to feed its self but to feed others.
    • For us we need ot realize that God's will is not a punishment; rather it is fulfillment and nourishment.
(Advance Slide 13)

What is the "fruit" that we are to bear?
  • It represents those that we lead to Christ.
    • "I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as well as among the rest of the Gentiles." Romans 1:13
  • Growing is another "fruit" that we harvest.
(Advance Slide 14)

Fruit Bearing - is the result of abiding in Christ (Advance Slide 15)
  • Communion begins with out unioin with Christ in baptism.
    • As the branch (i.e. Christian) we have a living union with Christ.
    • Because of this living union, we are alive and we bear fruit from this living union with Him.
  • Bearing fruit requires discipline (both agriculturaly and spiritually speaking)
(Advance Slide 16)

Sometimes living wood must be pruned to create growth.
  • Scripture confirms this:
    • Abraham - had to leave his city and family...also had to offer Isaac.
    • Jacob - had to lay aside his own plans so his family would become the nation of Israel.
    • The same process can be seen in the lives of Joseph, David, Paul, and Peter
We have this Greek word in the NT it is meno
  • It means "inward enduring personal communion.
    • Now, to me that sounds a lot like abiding.
    • To fully communon with Him is to abide with Him...those that i mentioned did.
  • Union does not always guarantee communion though.
    • "No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you." John 15:15
Do you meet with The Lord daily and communion with Him?

Is there evidence of abiding with Christ?
  • You experience love (vs. 9; 12-13)
  • You have a joy (vs. 11)
  • You will be hated and opposed by the world (vs. 18-19)
(Advance Slide 17)

Abiding in Christ - is the result of obeying Christ
  • Every discipline in life has law that must be followed if we wish to suceed.
  • Laws goven our moral and spiritual life as well.
  • "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love." John 15:5
The best reason and way to obey is becasue you want to.

(Advance Slide 18)
  • Obey becasue you are motivated by love.
    • "If you love me, you will keep my commandments" John 14:15
    • “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." John 14:23
(Advance Slide 19)

By obeying we show that we know Him.
  • Just think of all the people that you are acquanted with.
  • You know them more than you know Jesus...who you claim to be your Savior.
    • The more that we know Him, the more we will love Him       
Conclusion

(Advance Slide 20)

"What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” - Mark 10:9
  • Jesus was speaking about marriage, but the command is for other areas of life as well.
  • In His I AM statement Jesus joined together abundant living and fruit bearing.
We cannot manufacture spiritual fruit.
  • It must flow from our fellowship with our Savior.
  • It is joined with obeying and loving Him
The more we love Him, the more we will obey Him. The more that we obey Him, the more we abide with Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment